Build and run in separate directory - OSX?

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sun Feb 12 04:02:39 EST 2006

On Sunday 12 February 2006 6:41 am, Mike Alexander wrote:
> I then cd'ed
> into /tools/gnucash-1.9/build/ *darwin*

_darwin_ - this would be OSX? 10.3 or 10.4?

Fink? DarwinPorts?

I build gnucash svn regularly on OSX 10.3 using fink. The OSX/Fink maintainer
for gnucash (Peter O'Gorman) also builds 1.8 and (IIRC) svn on 10.4? (Peter?)

There is no need to build and run in separate directories for darwin. I use a
script:
#!/bin/bash
export LIBTOOL="glibtool"
export PATH="/sw/bin:$PATH"
export ACLOCAL_FLAGS="-I /sw/share/aclocal"
cd /opt/working/gnucash/
guile16-build env LIBRARY_PATH=/sw/lib/ CPATH=/sw/include \
./autogen.sh
guile16-build env LIBRARY_PATH=/sw/lib/ CPATH=/sw/include \
./configure --disable-qof --enable-doxygen --enable-opt-style-install
--prefix=/opt/fergus/gnucash
make uninstall
rm -rf /opt/fergus/gnucash
make distclean
guile16-build env LIBRARY_PATH=/sw/lib/ CPATH=/sw/include \
./autogen.sh
guile16-build env LIBRARY_PATH=/sw/lib/ CPATH=/sw/include \
./configure --disable-qof --enable-doxygen --enable-opt-style-install
--prefix=/opt/fergus/gnucash

For the 1.9.0 distribution tarball, omit the call to autogen.sh

If this is darwin and you don't substitute glibtool or set the path to look
in /sw/bin before anywhere else (or whatever other prefix you've set for
fink), gnucash may get so far but it will not link successfully. It leads to
some nasty (and misleading) error messages and crashes.

Ditto the prefix to call guile16-build.

> (which was empty) and ran
> configure as
>
>         ../../gnucash-1.9/configure \
>         --prefix=/tools/gnucash-1.9/install \
>         --exec-prefix=/tools/gnucash-1.9/install/darwin \
>         --enable-prefer-db1=no \
>         --disable-static \
>         --enable-ofx \
>         --enable-doxygen \
>         --enable-maintainer-mode \

This should not be specified when building from a distribution tarball - it's
intended for svn builds (but I think it actually does nothing in the current
gnucash build anyway).

>         --enable-compiler-warnings=minimum \

To get gnucash to work, you'll need to up that level or just leave off the
=minimum.

>         --with-g-wrap-prefix=/tools/g-wrap-1.9.6/install/darwin

There's that darwin again.

> Running make in build/darwin/intl-scm gives these errors:
> Running make in build/darwin/lib/libqof/backend/file gives the errors
>
> There are many other errors of this sort in other directories.

But, let me guess, they all refer back to 'darwin'.

> The two patches above fix these problems for me.  I realize that I'm
> building things in a rather odd way, but I'm trying to use some build
> tools originally meant for other purposes.

Building gnucash on OSX can be hard enough using fink, but at least it does
work (I've been building svn on OSX regularly for months).

I do have problems with make check but the application itself does work.

--

Neil Williams