Build and run in separate directory - OSX?

Mike Alexander mta at umich.edu
Sun Feb 12 17:19:56 EST 2006

--On February 12, 2006 9:02:39 AM +0000 Neil Williams
<linux at codehelp.co.uk> wrote:

>> I then cd'ed
>> into /tools/gnucash-1.9/build/ *darwin*
>
> _darwin_ - this would be OSX? 10.3 or 10.4?
>
> Fink? DarwinPorts?
>
> I build gnucash svn regularly on OSX 10.3 using fink. The OSX/Fink
> maintainer  for gnucash (Peter O'Gorman) also builds 1.8 and (IIRC)
> svn on 10.4? (Peter?)

Yes, I'm using MacOSX, but not the Fink version of gnucash (I used Fink
for some of the prereqs simply because it was the easiest way to get
them).  I'm building it from the svn source (as I said in my message).
My build builds cleanly (with no compiler warnings) and runs fine.  I'm
not looking for advice on how to build gnucash, I'm just offering you
fixes that make it build better.  If you don't want them, so be it.
They work for me and I'll keep merging them into your changes.

> There is no need to build and run in separate directories for darwin.

Of course not.  As I said, I'm using existing build tools (ported to
Darwin from Linux, Solaris, HP/UX, and AIX) that happen to do this.
They were written to support building for several architectures from
the same source so they build into an architecture specific directory.
The person who wrote them (not me) happened to use a hierarchy where
the build directory is not a sibling of the source directory.  That is
what is causing the problems here.

> For the 1.9.0 distribution tarball, omit the call to autogen.sh
>
> If this is darwin and you don't substitute glibtool or set the path
> to look  in /sw/bin before anywhere else (or whatever other prefix
> you've set for  fink), gnucash may get so far but it will not link
> successfully. It leads to  some nasty (and misleading) error messages
> and crashes.
>
> Ditto the prefix to call guile16-build.

I'm not using the tarball.  I've got my path set up to find the things
gnucash needs.  It builds, links, and runs fine.

>>         --enable-maintainer-mode \
>
> This should not be specified when building from a distribution
> tarball - it's  intended for svn builds (but I think it actually does
> nothing in the current  gnucash build anyway).
>
>>         --enable-compiler-warnings=minimum \
>
> To get gnucash to work, you'll need to up that level or just leave
> off the  =minimum.

I'm not using the tarball and I don't get any compiler warnings.  I put
the maintainer-mode setting in because some readme file said to.  I
agree that it doesn't seem to do anything.  At any rate, it isn't the
problem.

Just because I'm using Darwin doesn't mean I'm an idiot or a novice.
Like it or not, Darwin is now the most widely used desktop Unix system
and making gnucash work well on it is in the best interest of the
gnucash project.  However, I don't think any of the problems I've
submitted patches for are Darwin specific.  I could reproduce them on
Solaris or Linux, but it probably isn't worth the trouble.

Mike Alexander           mta at umich.edu
Ann Arbor, MI            PGP key ID: BEA343A6