problems with g2

Andrew Duggan cmkrnl at speakeasy.net
Mon Feb 13 07:46:51 EST 2006

Hi,

Sorry for the delay, lots of snow (and shoveling) yesterday...

Mark Johnson wrote:
[...]
> I assumed that I was supposed to replace %{_sysconfdir} with
> /opt/gnucash-svn13206/etc.
>
> This has stopped gnucash from prompting for the defaults at every start.

Cool..

> Was this supposed to create the file:
> /opt/gnucash-svn13206/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults
> And the directory:
> /opt/gnucash-svn13130/etc/gconf/apps
> ?
> If not how are these supposed to be created?  These did not get created.

You might have to create them directly. For your system's main prefix
(e.g., /usr) and sysconfdir (e.g., /etc) at least the
gconf/gconf.xml.defaults would already be there.

In any event I am no expert, its only when I encountered the same problem,
my research lead me down that path.  My guess is that on your system even
though your schemas are in /opt/gnucash-svn13206/etc, the default values
might have been written to either your system wide /etc/gconf or in your
local directory.

what do

find /etc/gconf  -name \*gnucash\*
find /opt/gnucash-svn13206/etc -name \*gnucash\*

produce?

On mine: find /etc/gconf  -name \*gnucash\*
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/gnucash
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/gnucash
/etc/gconf/schemas/apps_gnucash_window_pages_register.schemas
/etc/gconf/schemas/apps_gnucash_warnings.schemas
/etc/gconf/schemas/apps_gnucash_dialog_common.schemas
/etc/gconf/schemas/apps_gnucash_import_generic_matcher.schemas
/etc/gconf/schemas/apps_gnucash_dialog_hbci.schemas
/etc/gconf/schemas/apps_gnucash_dialog_commodities.schemas
/etc/gconf/schemas/apps_gnucash_dialog_print_checks.schemas
/etc/gconf/schemas/apps_gnucash_dialog_business_common.schemas
/etc/gconf/schemas/apps_gnucash_dialog_reconcile.schemas
/etc/gconf/schemas/apps_gnucash_dialog_totd.schemas
/etc/gconf/schemas/apps_gnucash_dialog_prices.schemas
/etc/gconf/schemas/apps_gnucash_window_pages_account_tree.schemas
/etc/gconf/schemas/apps_gnucash_general.schemas
/etc/gconf/schemas/apps_gnucash_history.schemas

The first two...
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/schemas/apps/gnucash
/etc/gconf/gconf.xml.defaults/apps/gnucash
are directories.

But I'm not sure that I have all of my packaging 100% correct, either, but
I figured it can't be too bad as I can take my binary packages and install
them on other machines and they work.

> Also I noticed that my gconfd-2 did not automatically restart as I had
> assumed from your script.  Is it supposed to?
> Should this use the --shutdown and --spawn options of gconftool-2?

Its only a -HUP so I don't think you should see a restart, it should just
re-read the config files.

Andrew