standard location for configuration data?

Thomas Bushnell BSG tb at becket.net
Fri Feb 24 18:30:37 EST 2006

I'm working on packaging 1.9.1 for Debian experimental, and am trying
to solve a minor problem.

When I run the packaged gnucash I get the dialog box "Cannot find
default values", saying

  The configuration data used to specify default values for Gnucash
  cannot be found in the default system locations...

I click Setup, and get the "Update gnucash configuration data" wizard,
which says:

  The configuration data used by Gnucash to specify its default values
  cannot be found in the default system locations.  Without this data
  Gnucash will still operate properly, but it may require some extra
  time to set up.

Ok, so I don't want Debian users to have to deal with this.  Clearly
I've got something in the wrong place.

So:

1) What are the files being referred to here?
2) What are the "default system locations" gnucash is looking in?

Thomas