Error making pot file.

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Wed Jan 4 15:53:50 EST 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 08:01:13PM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 January 2006 5:30 pm, Christian Stimming wrote:
> > > I thought there was some reason, I just couldn't remember.  Instead of
> > > reverting, I'll commit a stub po/POTFILES.in explaining why the file
> > > is in SVN.  Then maybe we can set an ignore property for it.
>
> No. That's what my top level Makefile.am changes arranged - the
> make-gnucash-potfiles script is auto-generated by make, the same target also
> RUNS make-gnucash-potfiles and generates po/POTFILES.in
>
> po/POTFILES.in IS under our control - it was never under direct control from
> po/
>
> The po/ Makefile symlink only uses whatever WE provide for POTFILES.in to
> generate POTFILES.
>
> > Err, what does a stub help here?
>
> It does not.
>
> > The point is that people (and maybe
> > translators) run "make" and expect that the gnucash.pot will be
> > correctly built.
>
> It is. Now. Please try deleting the file and run make.

I'm not sure, but I thought that Christian meant 'run "make" [in the
po/ directory]'.  Or at least, I thought he had in mind a case where
the translator doesn't have to build all of gnucash.  In any case, I
now realize that a translator must run either `make' from the toplevel
dir, OR use `make pot' because guile-strings.c must be generated.  If
Christian's concern was that `make pot' no longer suffices on its own,
then I think we can solve that by just saying:

 pot: Makefile
+       ${MAKE} make-gnucash-potfiles
        rm -f intl-scm/guile-strings.c
        make -C intl-scm
        rm -f po/$(PACKAGE).pot
        make -C po $(PACKAGE).pot

A translator _still_ has to either `make pot' or `make' at toplevel
and in either case, POTFILES.in will already exist.  Right?

-chris