Error making pot file.

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Wed Jan 4 16:21:37 EST 2006

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 8:53 pm, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> I'm not sure, but I thought that Christian meant 'run "make" [in the
> po/ directory]'.  Or at least, I thought he had in mind a case where
> the translator doesn't have to build all of gnucash.  In any case, I
> now realize that a translator must run either `make' from the toplevel
> dir, OR use `make pot' because guile-strings.c must be generated.

Yes.

> If
> Christian's concern was that `make pot' no longer suffices on its own,
> then I think we can solve that by just saying:
>
>  pot: Makefile
> +       ${MAKE} make-gnucash-potfiles
>         rm -f intl-scm/guile-strings.c
>         make -C intl-scm
>         rm -f po/$(PACKAGE).pot
>         make -C po $(PACKAGE).pot

Sounds good to me. It would be nice to have 'make pot' as standalone.

I couldn't find a way of running 'make' in non-recursive mode and a gnucash
make is quite a lengthy process.

Are there any translatable strings in other g-wrap generated files? As long as
gnucash.pot is the same whether we run 'make && make pot' compared to just
'make pot', it sounds good to me. I'll do some testing in pilot-qof (it's
quicker).

> A translator _still_ has to either `make pot' or `make' at toplevel
> and in either case, POTFILES.in will already exist.  Right?

Yes, because making 'make-gnucash-potfiles' now executes the newly built
script, creating 'po/POTFILES.in'. It's part of the rule. This was actually a
side-effect from the OSX tests - one of the few things from my OSX experience
that has directly *benefitted* gnucash instead of complicating it!!

:-))

--

Neil Williams