RFC: fix configure spewage from PKG_CHECK_MODULES and others.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Jan 12 17:04:46 EST 2006

As I was looking at configure to handle the "qof issue" I thought I'd
try to clean up a lot of the spewage that we get from "missing" .pc
files when we're searching for various alternate packages.  The problem
is that this spewage comes from macros that we don't necessarily own...

So my question to developers:  Is it reasonable to pull in the macro
into our own library and modify it in our own macro library?  E.g.,
is it okay if I pull pkg.m4 into our macro library and make changes there
to silence it..  (a secondary question is whether aclocal will prefer
our macros over system macros)..

Or should we just live with the spewage?  Or is there some other alternative?
If I don't hear objections I'm just going to pull the "offending" macros
into our own library and make the appropriate changes to quiet down
the errors.