SVN status: defaults to internal QOF

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Thu Jan 12 19:12:14 EST 2006

On Thursday 12 January 2006 11:04 pm, Derek Atkins wrote:
> It will, by default, use internal qof unless you configure with
> --enable-qof. The idea is that gnucash svn shouldn't break if changes were
> made to internal qof that change the API from external qof..
>
> You, Neil, can still test with --enable-qof.. And end users can also test
> with --enable-qof if they so wish..

Understandable.

> The plan in my head is that once we cut the pre-2.0 releases we can swap
> the option the other way so it defaults to looking for external qof.
> I have no trust that 2.0 will happily use 0.6.0..

With Chris' changes, it will have to be at least 0.6.2 - unless I can make his
changes backwards compatible. This will still be libqof1, backwards
compatible with 0.6.0 for those applications (like gnotime) that don't use
the added functions. pilot-qof is already dependent on libqof1 >= 0.6.1 as it
uses some date manipulation functions added to libqof at 0.6.1.

> It's quite possible
> the API will get extended in 0.6.2 or 0.6.3 and that gnucash will require
> that minimum...

Is that a problem? (It certainly will not be a problem for Debian or Fink and
possibly Fedora.)

> Note that adding APIs does not require a library major
> version bump.  Only CHANGING APIs requires a version bump.

Yes, I know. libqof1 will remain compatible until such time as libqof2 is
available. It's all documented at the QOF doxygen page:
http://qof.sourceforge.net/doxy/

libqof has had a *revision* bump (as has QSF) at 0.6.1 - as it should because
the source has changed. I implemented this in configure.in at r12299.

A major version jump will not occur until libqof2 which will not be backwards
compatibility with libqof1.

--

Neil Williams