test-version without make install (was [Gnucash-changes] r12334)

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 09:03:58 EST 2006

On Friday 13 January 2006 5:36 am, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:
> > BTW, gnucash now successfully completes `make dist' and `make check'.
> > And it configures, builds and *runs* from a tarball.  Some of the
> > tests still fail, but at least they run to completion.
>
> wait -- how can make check complete if some of the tests still fail?

I've wondered about this too - I can't get make distcheck to complete and make
check halts at src/bin/test.

I can't get src/bin/test to work without first running make install.

/opt/svn/gnucash/src/bin/test/../gnucash: line 29: exec: gnucash-bin: not
found

$ ./gnucash-bin
ERROR: no code for module (gnucash main)

gnucash-bin seems to require a make install prior to make check but that won't
work because make distcheck will run make check prior to make install.
e.g. in pilot-qof:
./configure
make
make dvi
make check
make install
make installcheck
make uninstall
make install
make uninstall
make distclean

The other tests before bin/ work OK after a make uninstall.

> PS: Thanks for making sure "make dist" works!  Next we need to get
> "make distcheck" working....

If I comment out test-version from src/bin/test/Makefile.am, make check does
complete. It seems like this is the only point at which make check will fail.

src/bin/$ ./gnucash --version
./gnucash: line 29: exec: gnucash-bin: not found

src/bin$ ./gnucash-bin --version
ERROR: no code for module (gnucash main)

My previous revision of test-version does not change the result when reverted.

The advice in HACKING also seems to no longer work:
(does this require a make install as well?)

Starting Gnucash from the build tree:
-------------------------------------

To run gnucash from your build tree:
-- edit ./src/bin/overrides/gnucash and replace gnucash-env with
   ./src/bin/overrides/gnucash-build-env
-- then start gnucash by saying ./src/bin/overrides/gnucash
-- Make sure you undo this change before installing gnucash

Changing test-version to:
PATH="../:../overrides/:${PATH}"
export PATH

exec gnucash --version

only gives:
<unnamed port>: In procedure scm-error in expression (scm-error (quote
misc-error) #f ...):
<unnamed port>: no code for module (g-wrapped gw-core-utils)
FAIL: test-version

Using gnucash-build-env makes no difference:
#!/bin/sh
PATH="../overrides/:../:${PATH}"
export PATH

exec gnucash-build-env gnucash --version

--

Neil Williams