test-version without make install (was [Gnucash-changes] r12334)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Jan 13 11:04:36 EST 2006

Neil Williams <linux at codehelp.co.uk> writes:

> I can't get src/bin/test to work without first running make install.
>
> /opt/svn/gnucash/src/bin/test/../gnucash: line 29: exec: gnucash-bin: not
> found
>
> $ ./gnucash-bin
> ERROR: no code for module (gnucash main)
>
> gnucash-bin seems to require a make install prior to make check but
> that won't work because make distcheck will run make check prior to
> make install.

This seems... wrong..  no tests should require an install.  I think
that the test needs to call gnucash-build-env gnucash-bin to get it to use
the build-environment instead of the install-environment.

> If I comment out test-version from src/bin/test/Makefile.am, make check does
> complete. It seems like this is the only point at which make check will fail.
>
> src/bin/$ ./gnucash --version
> ./gnucash: line 29: exec: gnucash-bin: not found
>
> src/bin$ ./gnucash-bin --version
> ERROR: no code for module (gnucash main)
>
> My previous revision of test-version does not change the result when reverted.
Interesting...  Maybe I'll take a look at this..

> The advice in HACKING also seems to no longer work:
> (does this require a make install as well?)
>
> Starting Gnucash from the build tree:
> -------------------------------------
>
> To run gnucash from your build tree:
> -- edit ./src/bin/overrides/gnucash and replace gnucash-env with
>    ./src/bin/overrides/gnucash-build-env
> -- then start gnucash by saying ./src/bin/overrides/gnucash
> -- Make sure you undo this change before installing gnucash
>
> Changing test-version to:
> PATH="../:../overrides/:${PATH}"
> export PATH
>
> exec gnucash --version
>
> only gives:
> <unnamed port>: In procedure scm-error in expression (scm-error (quote
> misc-error) #f ...):
> <unnamed port>: no code for module (g-wrapped gw-core-utils)
> FAIL: test-version
>
> Using gnucash-build-env makes no difference:
> #!/bin/sh
> PATH="../overrides/:../:${PATH}"
> export PATH
>
> exec gnucash-build-env gnucash --version
> <unnamed port>: In procedure scm-error in expression (scm-error (quote
> misc-error) #f ...):
> <unnamed port>: no code for module (g-wrapped gw-core-utils)

It's /possible/ that gnucash-build-env hasn't been kept up to date.  I
honestly haven't tried running it from the build tree in a VERY long
time.