ofc and ofx format import is not correct

Martin Klaffenboeck martin.klaffenboeck at gmx.at
Fri Jan 13 13:14:32 EST 2006

Am Freitag, den 13.01.2006, 11:04 -0500 schrieb Josh Sled:
> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 17:00 +0100, Martin Klaffenboeck wrote:
> > It seems that ofc and ofx import is not completly correct or not
> > complete supportet.  Is this a libofx issue or can this be fixed within
> > gnucash?  There are some ofx files within gnucash.  Does gnucash use
> > libofx or doesn't it?
> >
> > I would like to complete the import functions so that my own files (from
> > my bank) can be imported.  Where to start?
>
> Perhaps by describing in what way it doesn't work?

Two things:

1. When I try to import from an austrian 'Sparkasse' account I get a ofx
file, which has the <NAME> Tag inside it.  This tag mostly has the name
of the owner of the bankaccount written in it.  This name will be
recorded as 'description' in gnucash - and as you assume, this doesn't
help my understand my entries, I can never know to which expenses or
incoming accounts those go.

But when I remove all the <NAME> entries it works correct.  I simply
remove this entries with

grep -v NAME infile.ofx > outfile.ofx

The outfile works then, there correctly will be used the <MEMO> fields
for description, like it should be.  The NAME tags are removed there.
In my downloaded 'infile.ofx' the NAME tag is always right bevore the
<MEMO> tag.

2. When I try to import from an austrian 'Raiffeisenbank' account, there
I get ofc files.  This ofc files seem to be correct.  I have two
'Raiffeisenbank' accounts.  So when I load a file from account
'Reiffeisenbank A' (I will call it RA) I get asked twice to choose a
gnucash account where the data belongs to.  The first time I can see the
Bankaccount ID and the Bank ID.  The second time I get asked, there is
an empty Bankaccount ID and an empty Bank ID.  At first i thought that
is a mistake in the qif file I get from my bank.  But I eye-mapped it
against http://ferraroa.dyndns.org:8200/MnyBank/help/Doc_Files.html and
therefore for me it seems to be ok, the second ask is wrong.  But when I
answer the second chooser, the import can be done correctly.

It seems that gnucash saves this choosings - so the next time I load a
qif file from RA it knows to which gnucash account it belongs to.  But
then on the RB (Raiffeisenbank account B) I can choose the first time
where I can see the Bankaccount ID and the Bank ID correctly, but then
there is no second chooser for the empty Bankaccount ID and Bank ID.
But then -> I didn't recognize this when I did this first - the RA
Gnucash account will be choosed instead of the RB Gnucash account.  This
is because I assume that gnucash saves that the Account with empty
Bankaccount ID and Bank ID belongs to the gnucash account from RA, even
if I load an RB file.  And that makes gnucash somehow unusable for my
two Raiffeisenbank accounts.

Maybe you know what I can do?

Thanks,
Martin