ofc and ofx format import is not correct

Benoit Grégoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Mon Jan 16 14:46:46 EST 2006

> > Perhaps by describing in what way it doesn't work?
>
> Two things:
>
> 1. When I try to import from an austrian 'Sparkasse' account I get a ofx
> file, which has the <NAME> Tag inside it.  This tag mostly has the name
> of the owner of the bankaccount written in it.  This name will be
> recorded as 'description' in gnucash - and as you assume, this doesn't
> help my understand my entries, I can never know to which expenses or
> incoming accounts those go.

The <NAME> tag IS the description in the OFX specification, it's supposed to
be the payee of the transaction and/or the transaction description.  If your
bank put's your name in it it isn'T using the OFX specification properly.

> But when I remove all the <NAME> entries it works correct.  I simply
> remove this entries with
>
> grep -v NAME infile.ofx > outfile.ofx
>
> The outfile works then, there correctly will be used the <MEMO> fields
> for description, like it should be.  The NAME tags are removed there.
> In my downloaded 'infile.ofx' the NAME tag is always right bevore the
> <MEMO> tag.

No, the content of the <MEMO> field goes in gnucash's transaction memo field.
as it should be.  You may have chosen to hide it in Gnucash's preferences.
To see it, use View - Style - Double Line.  When you remove the <NAME>, it
put's the <MEMO> content in the description field (which is technically
incorrect) in case there is no transaction description, so that at least
SOMETHING will always be shown in the register.

> 2. When I try to import from an austrian 'Raiffeisenbank' account, there
> I get ofc files.  This ofc files seem to be correct.  I have two
> 'Raiffeisenbank' accounts.  So when I load a file from account
> 'Reiffeisenbank A' (I will call it RA) I get asked twice to choose a
> gnucash account where the data belongs to.  The first time I can see the
> Bankaccount ID and the Bank ID.  The second time I get asked, there is
> an empty Bankaccount ID and an empty Bank ID.  At first i thought that
> is a mistake in the qif file I get from my bank.  But I eye-mapped it
> against http://ferraroa.dyndns.org:8200/MnyBank/help/Doc_Files.html and
> therefore for me it seems to be ok, the second ask is wrong.  But when I
> answer the second chooser, the import can be done correctly.
>
> It seems that gnucash saves this choosings - so the next time I load a
> qif file from RA it knows to which gnucash account it belongs to.  But
> then on the RB (Raiffeisenbank account B) I can choose the first time
> where I can see the Bankaccount ID and the Bank ID correctly, but then
> there is no second chooser for the empty Bankaccount ID and Bank ID.
> But then -> I didn't recognize this when I did this first - the RA
> Gnucash account will be choosed instead of the RB Gnucash account.  This
> is because I assume that gnucash saves that the Account with empty
> Bankaccount ID and Bank ID belongs to the gnucash account from RA, even
> if I load an RB file.  And that makes gnucash somehow unusable for my
> two Raiffeisenbank accounts.

Either the OFC file isn't parsed correctly (It's possible,  OFX support in
libofx is a recent addition, and had very little feedback), or your bank
doesn't fill the account information properly.  It may or may not be a good
idea for gnucash to refuse to import accounts with blank IDs and notify the
user, but that may not solve your problem anyway.

Without a ofxdump and the original OFC file, there is little anyone can do.
If this can be solved, it will be in libofx, so it would be better to
continue this there.

--
Benoit Grégoire, http://benoitg.coeus.ca/