[Gnucash-changes] r12296 - gnucash/trunk/src/gnome-utils - Fix gnc-svninfo.h rule for gentoo ebuild where svn is no longer available

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Fri Jan 13 16:31:27 EST 2006

Hi,

Am Freitag, 13. Januar 2006 20:16 schrieb Derek Atkins:
> Christian Stimming <cstim at cvs.gnucash.org> writes:
> > Log:
> > Fix gnc-svninfo.h rule for gentoo ebuild where svn is no longer available
> >
> > Modified: gnucash/trunk/src/gnome-utils/Makefile.am
> > --- gnucash/trunk/src/gnome-utils/Makefile.am	2006-01-08 14:01:14 UTC
> > (rev 12295) +++ gnucash/trunk/src/gnome-utils/Makefile.am	2006-01-08
> > 14:24:27 UTC (rev 12296) @@ -273,7 +273,7 @@
> >  		echo "/* Autogenerated. Do not change. */" > _gnc-svninfo.h ; \
> >  		echo "#define GNUCASH_SVN_REV \"$$svninfo\"" >> _gnc-svninfo.h ; \
> >  	else \
> > -		cp $(srcdir)/gnc-svninfo.h _gnc-svninfo.h ; \
> > +		echo "#define GNUCASH_SVN_REV \"unknown\"" > _gnc-svninfo.h ; \
> >  	fi
>
> I'm not sure exactly what the problem is that you're trying to fix,
> but this is not the correct solution.  The issue appears to be that
> you have an SVN checkout but no "svn" when you build?  Is that what's
> going on?
>
> The intended behavior was to build gnc-svninfo.h during 'make dist'

The error report from the gentoo guy said that gentoo gets the checkout from
SVN, but will copy that into a different location. So the code is neither
SVN-controlled nor created by "make dist" any longer, and in particular no
file gnc-svninfo.h existed. This rule had no support for this case. I thought
that this if-branch would only be called/trigger if gnc-svninfo.h didn't
exist in the first place, so it didn't make sense to me to rely on such an
existing file. I mean, if this is "make dist", then the rule for
gnc-svninfo.h probably doesn't trigger anyway, does it?

> and then when you build from the tarball you know what SVN version
> you've got in the resultant binary.   This particular change breaks
> that behavior.
>
> I want to revert it, but I don't know what the ebuild is doing or
> how it's failing....  All I do know is that this patch is wrong
> regardless of the original issue.

If there is a use for this if-clause then you need to add another test for the
existence of $(srcdir)/gnc-svninfo.h first.

Christian