[DRAFT] Proposed release schedule for 1.9.x

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Mon Jan 16 16:42:29 EST 2006

On Mon, Jan 16, 2006 at 04:21:44PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Well, Jan 29 is "soon", is it not?

I guess so.  So, let's try to get `make distcheck' working by then.

> I agree we should release something
> soon, but we should also keep track of all the known issues..
>
> >As for the first release, I still see this as labor driven though.
> >I've been trying to get distcheck to work for a long time, and it's
> >still not there yet.  The problems are obscure and tedious and very
> >time-consuming to test because a distcheck takes ~20 minutes to fail
> >(mostly spent converting translation files).  I end up doing most of
> >my development *during* distcheck runs.  And by the types of problems
> >I'm fixing, I can tell that no one else is running these.
>
> I gave up that fight a couple years ago.  Getting people to make sure
> "make check" worked was an uphill battle.  Worse, there are a number
> of tests that use random input and, as a result, randomly fail.  Some
> people wanted to fix this by making the test non-random..  But I think
> that only masks the actual bug that certain inputs triggered.

I've recently gotten `make check' to complete.  I'd like to hear
reports of any test failures.  In fact, I'd encourage any aspiring
developers out there to regularly run `make check'.  It's a relatively
easy way to ease into gnucash development.

> >I'd be a bit more optimistic about the release schedule if distcheck
> >consistently passed.  If anyone want to work on this, I an report that
> >the most recent failure is:
>
> Agreed.
>
> >libtool: link: cannot find the library
> >`../../../../../lib/libqof/qof/libqof.la'make[8]: ***
> >[libqof-backend-qsf.la] Error 1
> >make[8]: Leaving directory
> >`/home/chris/svn/trunk/gnucash-1.9.0/_build/lib/libqof/backend/file'
>
> Hmm, I would've thought this would break the build completely, not
> just break a "make check"..    How odd.

Just to clarify:  This is from "make distcheck".

> >No objection.  How well-maintainted is the bugzilla?  Are there some
> >bugzilla-masters out there?
>
> Define "well maintained".  It's run by the gnome project, so it's fairly
> stable.  All the committers should have full access to the GnuCash bugs.
> If you do not then you should let us know what your bugzilla ID is so
> you can get access.

I meant the content, not the system.  Obviously, I'm not heavy into
bugzilla maintenance, but _somebody_ needs to be.  Sounds like Josh is
stepping up.

-chris