Are patches to 1.8 useful?

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Wed Jan 18 04:54:53 EST 2006

Hi,

thanks for reporting this. As you've guessed, the development of the
1.8.x branch has completely stopped, so we won't apply any patches to
1.8 anywhere in SVN/CVS.

However, since you said some things might be relevant to HEAD/1.9/2.0 as
well, it might be a good idea to send it anyway, not the least so that
other people who need improvements in 1.8 might dig this up from the
archive. Depends on how much effort you are willing to spend.

As for potential 1.9/2.0 improvements: These are tracked issue-by-issue
in bugzilla, http://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GnuCash so
actually the most helpful thing for us would be to open *one bugzilla
report per issue*, where the solved problem/enhancement is described and
the patch is attached (attachments can be uploaded after you initially
committed the bugreport). This way you will have the guarantee that all
potential improvements are reviewed, commented upon, and (if relevant to
1.9/SVN-HEAD) applied to SVN -- but of course we cannot tell beforehand
whether some of these bugzilla reports might not be closed as
"irrelevant to 1.9/WONTFIX".

Entering these into bugzilla, one issue per report, would definitely be
the most helpful contribution for us. But if you don't want to spend
that much effort on this, you can still consider sending everything in
one batch here, but on the mailing list non-trivial patches tend to get
forgotten sometimes. On the other hand in bugzilla they surely won't be
forgotten.

Thank you for any contribution here.

Regards

Christian