Build failure with fresh svn checkout

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Wed Jan 18 11:41:02 EST 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 10:48:40AM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Ganesan Rajagopal <rganesan at users.sourceforge.net> writes:
>
> > gnucash-bin.c:33:25: error: gnc-version.h: No such file or directory
> > cc1: warnings being treated as errors
> > gnucash-bin.c:41: warning: no previous prototype for 'gnucash_command_line'
> > make[5]: *** [gnucash-bin.o] Error 1
> > make[5]: Leaving directory home/rganesan/anoncvs/gnucash/src/bin'
> > make[4]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
>
> There were two issues involved here.
> First, Chris was pointing to the wrong places (srcdir/buildir).
> Second, 'bin' was built before 'gnome-utils' so the generated
> headers weren't made yet.
>
> I've fixed both of these in SVN.
>
> Chris: In the future when you add new inter-dependencies to the build,
> (e.g. when you pull a new link-time library or include a header from a
> new directory).  can you make sure that they work with a clean build?

Sorry 'bout that.  I was rushing to commit before bedtime.  Let me see
if I understand the principles:

1) Any time the build depends on any BUILT_SOURCES, it's also
necessary to ensure that those sources are built before they're
used, typically by arrangement of SUBDIRS.

2) ${top_srcdir} is for any non-built source file, while
${top_builddir} is for anything built, e.g. source or library.

3) ??? I don't understand the moving of #include "config.h".  It it
just style?

-chris