Build failure with fresh svn checkout

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Jan 18 12:08:42 EST 2006

Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:

> Sorry 'bout that.  I was rushing to commit before bedtime.  Let me see
> if I understand the principles:
>
> 1) Any time the build depends on any BUILT_SOURCES, it's also
> necessary to ensure that those sources are built before they're
> used, typically by arrangement of SUBDIRS.

Yes.  A correllary is that any time the build depends on a .la file
it's also necessary to ensure that that .la file is built before
they're used.

> 2) ${top_srcdir} is for any non-built source file, while
> ${top_builddir} is for anything built, e.g. source or library.

Yes.  in this case gnc-version.h depends on gnc-svninfo.h, and the
latter could be in either srcdir OR builddir depending on whether
it's an SVN build or a tarball build.

> 3) ??? I don't understand the moving of #include "config.h".  It it
> just style?

No.  config.h defines the configure state which is used in lots of
the other .h files.  You /ALWAYS/ have to #include config.h first
in order to make sure you have the proper definitions set before you
include anything else.

The fact that it /may/ work later is just lucky happenstance.  For
me, I was dying in libintl.h (included from i18n.h) but moving config.h
to the top fixed it..  Most likely because the HAVE_GETTEXT defines
were wrong when i18n.h was included (because config.h hadn't been).