Compatibility problem between G2 business module and G1

Andrew Sackville-West andrew at farwestbilliards.com
Thu Jan 26 13:01:45 EST 2006

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 22:52:58 -0500
digger vermont <dv_mlist at verizon.net> wrote:

> Hello All,
> 	It looks to me that G2 is "corrupting" the guid's of customers,
> employees, vendors, etc when opening an account file made with G1.8.12.
> I haven't looked close enough at whether or not it is a general problem
> in G2.
>
> To try and make sure it isn't something I've done I created a simple set
> of accounts with G1 including a customer, vendor, employee, job and some
> invoices using G1.8.12. and saved it.  When opening it with G2 it looks
> fine. But after saving it without having made any changes (all I did was
> open and immediately saved) and reopening it, it appears to have lost
> the links to the invoices and customers, employees, etc.
>
> Looking at a diff between the two files it looks like the guids have
> been changed.
>
> Has anyone else seen this and is it a known issue?  Or is the business
> module still a work in progress and this is to be expected? I didn't see
> anything in bugzilla that looked like it.  If it's something new I can
> enter it.

I've seen it too in both 1.8.x and G2. I don't remember the circumstances that caused it in 1.8, but I think it was a crash. The version of G2 I was using at the time I saw this was also crashing, so I sort of ignored it. IIRC, the invoices and payments lose their mapping to vendors. It shows up very obviously in the Payable Aging report. You get balances with a blank vendor column and incorrect totals for the associated vendors. i remember that I manually edited my file to fix the GUID's and it seems to me I had to follow quite a long chain to get it all patched up. Turns out its easier to just unpost, edit and repost the invoices and then delete and replicate the payments. ymmv.

If you file the bug, I'll add my results as well.