www.gnucash.org simplification proposal

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Thu Jan 26 15:32:08 EST 2006

On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 10:47:47AM -0500, Josh Sled wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 23:29 -0500, Josh Sled wrote:
> > As such, I'd like to propose the following simplifications of the
> > gnucash website by enumerating my disposition towards the navigation
> > menu items.  Where a menu-item goes away and links to pages on the
>
> I thought it might be interesting to see the revised, collapsed menu.
> After doing so, I took some liberties in re-factoring and renaming menu
> items.  Here's what I think it should look like:
>
> - Information
>   - Home, News
>   - Features
>
> - Download
>   - USA (master)
>   - SourceForge
>   - Europe
>   - Australia
>
> - Resources
>   - Wiki [de]
>   - Concepts Guide
>   - Help Manual [de]
>   - Mailing Lists
>   - Bug Reports
>   - IRC (Chat)
>   - Donations
>
> - Developers
>   - Documentation
>   - Source Access, Browse
>   - Language Translations

I think the simplification is a good idea.  We have enough dynamic
content in trac, bugzilla, and wiki.  It'd be nice to keep the
centralization of these relatively static.

One thing that might be missing is 'About', but maybe that can be on
the home page.  Also, I think I'd rather see the NEWS history pushed
off onto it's own page -- leaving the home page relatively clean, or
maybe with just the most recent announcements.

-chris