www.gnucash.org simplification proposal

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Thu Jan 26 17:38:05 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 15:32 -0500, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> One thing that might be missing is 'About', but maybe that can be on
> the home page.

Yeah, or replace "Home" with "About", which is somewhat more meaningful
than "Home" anyways.

> Also, I think I'd rather see the NEWS history pushed
> off onto it's own page -- leaving the home page relatively clean, or
> maybe with just the most recent announcements.

We could have a truncated (1-2 line) version of the announcements on the
front-page, linking off to the full thing.  (Though full-content in the
RSS feed).  We'd probably only need the last 2..4 new items on the front
page...?

On a related note, what about replacing the 3 paragraphs we have on the
front page with:

    "GnuCash is personal and small-business financial-accounting
     software, freely licensed under the GNU GPL and available
     for GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris and Mac OSX."

Maybe followed by brief hilights of the major features (a-la
http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/)?

   * Double-Entry Accounting
   * Stock/Bond/Mutual Fund Accounts
   * Small-Business Accounting
      * Customers, Vendors, Jobs, Invoices, A/P, A/R
   * QIF/OFX/HBCI Import, Transaction Matching
   * Reports, Graphs
   * Scheduled Transactions
   * Budgeting

(probably split across two columns ...)  Followed by the News/Updates.

I think between the "what we are" sentence, the features hilights and
news, we have a good About page as the primary thing people see when
they hit the site.

--
...jsled