www.gnucash.org simplification proposal

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sat Jan 28 17:50:58 EST 2006

On Thursday 26 January 2006 10:38 pm, Josh Sled wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 15:32 -0500, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> > One thing that might be missing is 'About', but maybe that can be on
> > the home page.
>
> Yeah, or replace "Home" with "About", which is somewhat more meaningful
> than "Home" anyways.
>
> > Also, I think I'd rather see the NEWS history pushed
> > off onto it's own page -- leaving the home page relatively clean, or
> > maybe with just the most recent announcements.

That makes sense - there's little point having the old news dynamic, except
when new news (!) is demoted to old.

> On a related note, what about replacing the 3 paragraphs we have on the
> front page with:
>
>     "GnuCash is personal and small-business financial-accounting
>      software, freely licensed under the GNU GPL and available
>      for GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris and Mac OSX."

Sounds OK. (Personally, I dislike the potential for confusion when the page
title uses Open Source and the body talks about the GPL and free software so
a new title would be useful too - "GnuCash - free software accounting" ?)

> Maybe followed by brief hilights of the major features (a-la
> http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/)?
>
>    * Double-Entry Accounting
>    * Stock/Bond/Mutual Fund Accounts
>    * Small-Business Accounting
>       * Customers, Vendors, Jobs, Invoices, A/P, A/R
>    * QIF/OFX/HBCI Import, Transaction Matching
>    * Reports, Graphs
>    * Scheduled Transactions
>    * Budgeting
>
> (probably split across two columns ...)  Followed by the News/Updates.

If you use two columns, PLEASE do so using CSS not tables. This list is not
tabular data.

> I think between the "what we are" sentence, the features hilights and
> news, we have a good About page as the primary thing people see when
> they hit the site.

Please don't feel that I want to be the sole developer committing to htdocs!
:-)

As long as the site remains HTML 4.01 Strict compliant and it can still be
translated, I'm happy to just be in the background tweaking the structure and
such.

I was going to bring sizing.phtml up to strict validity but if it's being
ditched then I'll just continue converting more strings to gettext. If anyone
wants to help with that, feel free.

I did just jump in but then I'd been waiting to implement the structure used
by mail-search since before I had cvs write access to HEAD! I concentrated on
the structure and deliberately left the content for later.

--

Neil Williams