www.gnucash.org simplification proposal

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Sat Jan 28 17:01:39 EST 2006

On Tuesday 24 January 2006 4:29 am, Josh Sled wrote:
> I don't consider this a high-priority item, but it might be nice to
> resolve before the next release.

I like the idea - I've been wondering what to do with AUTHORS and it is wrong
to have to re-create it. Equally, the news and RSS.

> [Certainly the very-subset of things
> about the Features and Screenshots pages will at least need to be
> revisited before the next release indepdent of all this...]

I haven't had time to do anything with it this week but I wondered about some
screenshots from OSX as well as Gnome2. No harm in extending or branching off
from the features series - they all need an overhaul with G2.

> I'm always annoyed at the complexity of www.gnucash.org. Things like
> re-creations of the AUTHORS file and two different versions of
> forward-looking project plans (that don't reflect reality) don't do
> anyone much good.

v.true.

>   -  GnuCash Banners!
>      - [+] Kill; who cares or uses?

I think we should keep those.

>   -  History & Credits
>      - [+] Kill; in AUTHORS, no need to duplicate.

Is it worth having a generated version? I can knock up a script to process an
external AUTHORS file - maybe even retain the photo links.

Users have the program About.. I suppose, so I don't have a strong opinion on
keeping it.

>   -  RSS
>      - Kill; Move to appropriate places (<link .../>, page footer)

Will do.

>   - Kill [, or at least fix so it works, perhaps by just redirecting to
>           Google with a "site:gnucash.org" term.]

If we simplify the site sufficiently as you describe, we won't need it.

> - Somewhere between 'features' and 'help' is something like a targeted
> tutorial ... maybe even videos demonstrating doing specific things like
> a multi-line split or setting up stock accounts.   That's a different
> topic once we get closer to the release, I think.

I think that's best done on a Wiki, personally.

Can Wiki's support translation? (without creating a whole new Wiki?)

(I now see what you meant about reducing PHP and the dynamic content)

--

Neil Williams