More build breakages due to incomplete uninstalls

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon Jan 30 07:59:15 EST 2006

On Monday 30 January 2006 5:34 am, Ganesan Rajagopal wrote:
> > :-)
>
> Looks like you're correct. I found a build problem today because of a
> missing symbol that's no longer in the source tree. It turned out that the
> linker is picking up older installed libraries. Once I cleaned up my
> installed tree everything is fine. The patches I sent are not
> required. Sorry for the false alarm.

Aha! OK, one bit of advice for everyone building regularly from the svn tree -

1. make uninstall is often incomplete on rapidly changing trees.

2. make will try to use installed libraries and if svn update changes any part
of those (which it will), they need to be removed, however you cannot then
rely on make uninstall to do this for you because the tree has changed.

3. If you use make uninstall, this relies on you having completed a
previous ./autogen and configure.

4. If you've done 'svn update' prior to 'make uninstall', then make will
re-run autogen and configure and therefore potentially miss some modified
installed code.

Therefore, my advice is:

If you use 'make uninstall', follow it up with 'rm -rf <prefix>'. Or just use
'rm -rf <prefix>'. I guess there would be a way of detecting whether files
still remain below the <prefix> path but I'm not convinced they would be
worth either saving or selectively deleting.

The unfortunate result is that you must then complete a full make install.

The breakages that result from NOT deleting the installation directory and all
files beneath it are not due to Debian libtool or anything else, they are
simply due to you having incompatible code lying around. Sorry.
:-(

--

Neil Williams