Problem using checkinstall for G2 svn

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Sun Jun 18 21:35:46 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 15:12 -0400, digger vermont wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I'm trying to make a deb pkg using checkinstall.  In the end I get these
> errors:
>
> Selecting previously deselected package gnucash-svn.
> (Reading database ... 147597 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking gnucash-svn (from .../gnucash-svn_r14358-1_powerpc.deb) ...
> dpkg: error
> processing /home/digger/src/SVN/gnucash/gnucash-svn_r14358-1_powerpc.deb
> (--install):
>  trying to overwrite `/usr/share/automake-1.9/COPYING', which is also in
> package automake1.9
> dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
>  /home/digger/src/SVN/gnucash/gnucash-svn_r14358-1_powerpc.deb

Someone else reported this problem earlier in the week.  It was solved
by adding the --copy argument to the invocation of automake in the
autogen.sh file.

> Given that I don't have this problem using checkinstall to build other
> packages, does this look like a problem with G2's installation?

Absolutely not.  I just checked the output of my last install and the
COPYING files was copied to the <prefix>/share/gnucash/doc directory.

Given that a) when the file is a link to /usr/share/automake-1.9/COPYING
checkinstall prints an error message, and b) when that file is a copy
of /usr/share/automake-1.9/COPYING then checkinstall works fine, I'd say
that checkinstall can't handle symlinks properly.

David