account separator character name untranslated

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Mon Mar 6 16:45:25 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-06 at 21:40 +0100, Christian Stimming wrote:

> thanks a lot for the unicode-ization of the account separator character. One
> issue, however, was introduced through this: When choosing one of the
> proposed characters, one has to enter the pre-defined english long names into
> the preference. That is, well, not quite suitable for the translated gnucash,
> as non-english speakers will surely not know what "colon" stands for...

The names are present for backwards compatibility with earlier SVN/1.9
releases.  They can't be translated as they may already be present in
gconf on users systems.  If you don't mind breaking backward
compatibility with development code then we can just remove those
strings entirely.  (1.8 didn't use gconf so its not an issue for the
1.8->2.0 transition.)  I have no problem with that.

Note that you don't have to type the name to use those characters as
separators.  Just type the character itself.

> Also, the example account in the preferences should IMHO better not be
> composed of three separate strings but rather one printf-string, as in
> "Income%sSalary%sTaxable". This way translators can choose other combinations
> of account names which are more common in their languague.

Sure, that's fine.  Don't know why I didn't do that in the first place.

David