String not translateable in GnuCash

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sat Mar 11 16:11:06 EST 2006

Hi Tor,

Am Samstag, 11. März 2006 16:56 schrieb Tor Harald Thorland:
> String 2249 and 2250 are the same.

as already explain in private email: The strings in the message file are not
sorted in any way; they might be reordered on every new build and/or as soon
as someone uses different versions of gettext et al to create the message
template. Therefore the index number of the string is meaningless (and I
wonder why your po file editor shows them in the first place; it shouldn't do
so). To unambiguously reference a string, you either need to specify the full
string or you need to specify the source code file and line number as shown
in the comment to that string.

In this case I tried kbabel once, and by coincidence the string index numbers
are the same in my case, so I know what you mean. Fixed in SVN r13604.

> The text "Tax Table Entries" in the Tax table editor.

In LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 the translation shows up just fine. So either the
translation is missing or your version of libglade gets this wrong (I have
libglade2-2.5.1). Simply translate it normally, and probably with other
libglade versions this will work fine.

> Open a Tax/TXF Export. Choose Options on it, and choose the view tab.
> The upper check box has a strange character on it. i see "Supress" then
> some strange chars and "£0.00 values"

I don't see a problem there as well; in LANG=de_DE.UTF-8 the translations
shows up just fine. The original string is "Suppress $0.00 values" and I
don't see any reason for display errors here... the translated string might
accidentally contain a non-UTF8 character?

Christian