Troubles with reports in current SVN

David Herman dvherman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 15:26:30 EST 2006

I tried the balance sheet report in 1.9 yesterday for the first time
and it appears to be not only slow, but also broken.  I tracked it down
to the fact that gnc:account-get-comm-balance-at-date sometimes returns
the wrong value.  This sounds like a pretty serious bug, but I'm
reasonably sure I'm right.

>It uses a query to get all the splits in an account that are not later
>than the date given, then sorts them by date posted and default sort.
>It then takes the balance from the last split.
>
>This hasn't changed since 1.8, what has changed is the sort.  If two or
>more splits in the account happen to be all on the date specified (so
>the first sort key is the same for all of them) then it seems to be
>somewhat random which one will actually sort last.
>gnc:account-get-comm-balance-at-date wants the last one entered to sort
>last but this doesn't always happen.
>
>This problem affects other reports too.  For example the account
>summary report shows the wrong balance for the same account.

I was checking the "new" Advanced Portfolio report and believe that the column
labeled "Basis" is incorrect.  It appears that if there are multiple transactions on
a give stock/fund the value is calculated incorrectly.  With two transactions it
appears the the first transaction is added twice.

I have been able to reproduce on a test file also.
Screen-shots are also available.

Using FC4 (updated) and SVN r13674

>I'll file a bug report unless someone knows immediately why this
>happens (or why I'm wrong).  I have a test file that demonstrates this
>problem if it's needed.

I'll also file a bug report either adding data to Mike's or seperate based on
feedback.

Dave Herman