Question on modifing User Guide

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Mar 23 18:56:52 EST 2006

Hi,

Quoting Dave Herman <dvherman at gmail.com>:

> Prompted by setting up simple account tree for testing and several
> questions here and on the user list, I started to review
> the GnuCash User Guide.  While I am not a "tech writer", I could
> assist by updating some of the screen shots and adding
> some examples.  I expect there are many others "readers" who could
> contribute examples or just FAQs with answers.
>
> It, the User Guide does need to be updated, which raised a couple of
> what are probably very basic questions.

Indeed, the guide needs to get updated for the upcoming 2.0 release.

> I am able to create an updated HTML User Guide by doing a  make in
> the gnucash-doc-svn  directory,  how do I generate
> the PDF files?

I'm afraid I don't know offhand.

> Are the existing screen shots reasonably stable?

What do you mean by "reasonably stable?"  I think we probably need a
completely
new set of screen shots for the 2.0 release.

> Is there a list of "standard" Names - GnuCash/GNUCash/GNUcash ?
> GnuCash seems to be most accepted correct ?

Yea, we should be using GnuCash.

> How should updates be feedback ?  svn -diff only resulted in errors.
> Would a tarball of a chapter and associated image fies
> be the preferred method?

What kind of errors do you get?   It's "svn diff", not "svn -diff".  You
should send a diff, not whole files.

> any suggestions or recommendations?

Please!  Go for it!

> Dave
>
> P.S. I started on the chapter on Investments (Chapter 8).  Sales for
> gains & loss seem to be an issue.

I'm hoping Jon will pipe up soon...   But yes, please.. Help with docs!