PROBLEM opening a gnucash 1.8 file

Kevin Broderick gnucash at kevinbroderick.com
Sat May 13 19:36:30 EDT 2006

On 13 May 2006, at 6:23 PM, Daniel Vetter wrote:

> On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 05:31:22PM -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Quoting Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch>:
>>
>>> Hi all
>>>
>>> gnucash-svn refuses to open my gnucash-1.8 files. Stripped one to
>>> it's bare
>>> minimun (yep, there's absolutely nothing of interest left in there,
>>> but it still
>>> fails). No error was logged, even with loglevel=6. Testcase attached
>>
>> It works for me with r14029.   Acutally, the first time I tried it I
>> got an error that the file was unrecognized.  But I can't
>> reproduce that.
>
> There's definitely something fishy going on in my system. Gnucash-2
> cant even
> open it's own files. Created a new file (just clicked always
> forward, accepting
> the defaults in the wizard), saved it an closed gnucash. Then I've
> restarted
> gnucash and it was unable to open the just created file. /tmp/
> gnucash.trace
> loglevel=6 attached.
>
> Will investigate more tomorrow.

I had similar issues after trying to run gnucash from a location
other than that specified during the original ./configure process;
after a make distclean, reconfigure (with the right prefix this
time), and recompile, it worked just fine.  Did you follow the
configure and compile immediately with a make install, or is it
possible that you managed to install with a path differing from that
expected during compilation?

Kevin T. Broderick
gnucash at kevinbroderick.com