Batch printing of invoices from gnucash

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue May 16 18:07:36 EDT 2006

Quoting Graham Leggett <minfrin at sharp.fm>:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Unfortunately nothing now.  Patches welcome.
>
> Hmmm... it seems that gnucash' lack of automation is it's biggest
> stumbling block for me at the moment, using it takes up way too much
> time.

Hey, you get what you pay for.  Would you rather pay Intuit $300-500
and have to do everything in Windows?  ;)

> CashUtil seems to focus on inputs (enter this transaction, add this
> vendor, etc), while there seems to be little or no support for
> outputs just yet.

Indeed, and it's unlikely it ever will.  Cashutil was (is?) the side
project of a single developer working alone without any contact with
anyone else.

> How difficult would it be to teach the gnucash binary to run, load
> headless, run one or more specified reports, outputting them as some
> kind of useful output (pdf? html thatn can be converted to pdf
> somehow?), and then exiting with a status code?

Honestly, I don't know.  The problem is that the reports are generated
as HTML and output through GtkHTML, and the PDF generation is performed by the
interaction of gtkhtml and gnome-print.  It's unlikely this would work
without a GUI.

> What sections of the code would be affected by this, in other words
> what code should I be looking at?

Lots of stuff, unfortunately.  I don't even know where to point you at
to start, I'm afraid.