(new) gnucash website architecture question (translation)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Mon May 22 10:16:08 EDT 2006

Christian Stimming <stimming at tuhh.de> writes:

> Currently, we only have the news in English. If any subset of them
> is translated into any kind of different languages, it will always
> be a progress From what we currently have. Because of this I simply
> agree to use the en version if there isn't a translation available.
>
> If one language team is really concerned about this, they will
> always have the option to simply translate all news items and that's
> it.

I agree.  If there's no translation for a news item it should use
the english version instead.

Okay, so news items are translated atomically and the translated files
(if any) are pulled in.  Okay.. That works for me!  :)

I still kind of think that using a message catalog for the main site
makes some amount of sense.  The content is quazi-static BUT does
change around, and I think we do want the exact same look and feel
of the main website in all languages.

Using a message catalog for the main site gives us a clear
notification when content has changed and a new translation is
required.  I think the current implementation is paragraph by
paragraph, not necessarily sentence by sentence.