(new) gnucash website architecture question (translation)

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sun May 21 14:46:14 EDT 2006

Am Sonntag, 21. Mai 2006 20:21 schrieb Chris Lyttle:
> Christian Stimming wrote:
> > Am Samstag, 20. Mai 2006 01:24 schrieb Derek Atkins:
> >> An open question is how to translate the news.  One approach
> >> is to use the same php translation mechanism as the rest of
> >> the site, where each news item is a standalone ".phtml" file
> >> and the news-script just pulls them together into date order. (...)
> >>
> >> The other approach is to use the same method that the old site
> >> uses.  Each news item is in a .txt file (which is actually html)
> >> and each language gets a directory a .txt files for the translated
> >> news items.
> >
> > I'd clearly prefer the second approach. Adding a news entry and/or taking
> > care of its translation is then clearly separated from the much larger
> > task of translating the full website. And again, a news item just like
> > the main content part of a web page should be translated as a whole --
> > not much to gain from gettext-separated sentences here.
>
> I tend to agree with Christian here, as news items really need someone
> to translate them as a whole it would make the whole system simpler to
> just translate the whole file. The only question I'd have is what
> happens when there isn't a translation, does it just substitute the
> current en version or would we just end up with a different set of news
> items for each language that we have on the site? I'd tend to go with
> having the en version be substituted in but perhaps it would just look
> too weird when the rest of the pages are in something like de? Christian
> how do you think this should be approached?

Currently, we only have the news in English. If any subset of them is
translated into any kind of different languages, it will always be a progress
from what we currently have. Because of this I simply agree to use the en
version if there isn't a translation available.

If one language team is really concerned about this, they will always have the
option to simply translate all news items and that's it.

Christian