(new) gnucash website architecture question (translation)

Chris Lyttle chris at wilddev.net
Sun May 21 14:21:54 EDT 2006

Christian Stimming wrote:
> Am Samstag, 20. Mai 2006 01:24 schrieb Derek Atkins:
>
>> An open question is how to translate the news.  One approach
>> is to use the same php translation mechanism as the rest of
>> the site, where each news item is a standalone ".phtml" file
>> and the news-script just pulls them together into date order. (...)
>>
>> The other approach is to use the same method that the old site
>> uses.  Each news item is in a .txt file (which is actually html)
>> and each language gets a directory a .txt files for the translated
>> news items.
>>
>> Comments?  Suggestions?
>>

> I'd clearly prefer the second approach. Adding a news entry and/or taking care
> of its translation is then clearly separated from the much larger task of
> translating the full website. And again, a news item just like the main
> content part of a web page should be translated as a whole -- not much to
> gain from gettext-separated sentences here.
>
> Christian

I tend to agree with Christian here, as news items really need someone
to translate them as a whole it would make the whole system simpler to
just translate the whole file. The only question I'd have is what
happens when there isn't a translation, does it just substitute the
current en version or would we just end up with a different set of news
items for each language that we have on the site? I'd tend to go with
having the en version be substituted in but perhaps it would just look
too weird when the rest of the pages are in something like de? Christian
how do you think this should be approached?

Chris