Postgres progress; WAS: Deactivate --enable-sql because PostgreSQL backend is still broken and we can't fix it before 2.0.0; bug#332251.

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Wed May 24 19:28:51 EDT 2006

Devs,

I've been trying to see how far I can bring the postgres backend in
the past couple days, on the misc-backend branch.

Currently, I've been successful at:

  - opening a database created with 1.8
  - saving the opened database as an xml file
  - creating a new database with 1.9

Caveats:

1) I don't see any good way of getting the GtkFileChooser to handle
non-files (see bug #329802) so this is only by passing the
"postgres://localhost/foo" string as a commandline argument.

2) I still don't know what's happening with bug #313696.  I've seen it
once, but I've sucessfully "saved-as" xml several times, despite the
reporter's description that it happens every time.  Perhaps it's
possible to get the database into some state where it happens every
time, but it's not always so bad.

I still think we should officially deprecate the postgres backend, but
we may still provide a migration path in 2.0.

I'm pretty much done with the backend-misc branch.  If we want to
include this in 2.0, I propose we merge this branch now, with a big
warning to migrate away from postgres.  Otherwise, we can merge after
2.0.  Either way, I can't justify much more time spent on this
particular feature, which I don't ever intend to use and wouldn't
recommend to anyone else, either.

So, what should we do?  Merge now or wait?  I don't have a strong
opinion either way, but I'd probably suggest to merge now.

-chris