1.9.6

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Fri May 26 23:34:49 EDT 2006

On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 10:48:07PM -0400, don Paolo Benvenuto wrote:
> I installed 1.9.6 from unstable.
>
> First impressions.
>
> - In the main window, sorting by the total doesn't seem right (see the
> corresponding screenshot)

That's because you haven't sorted by total.  It takes one click to
select the column, and one more to sort by that column.

> - In the main window, it would be comfortable to be able to remove a
> column drag&dropping it away with the mouse, at least with a right
> button click. The right button click should present the possible columns
> list and permit to add a column.

You probably know, but just in case: you can do this by selecting the
right-most column.  Feel free to submit RFE in bugzilla for context
menu or drag-n-drop column removal.

> - Saving the file is slower than in 1.8.9?

How much slower?

> (gnucash:1027): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from
> `GnomeDruidPageStandard' to `GtkWindow'

Unfortunately, these warning aren't very helpful unless we know
exactly what you were doing when you saw them.  One _very_ helpful
(but technical) trick is to attach gdb to the gnucash-bin process (or
start it from gdb if you know how) and say:

$ (gdb) br g_log
$ (gdb) continue
[then trigger the warning]
$ (gdb) bt

> - opening the data file is slower than in 1.8.9?

How much slower?

> - In the preferences (I'm using spanish localization), when passing from
> the 1st to the 2nd tab, something weird appears (see screenshot).

That's weird.  Please attach that to a bug report, and be sure to
describe your gnome library versions.

>   When the preferences are opened, shouldn't the program be unusable?

Why?  The general rul is not to force modality unless it's required.

[snip]

Please file a bug report about the various preferences not moving from
1.8 to 1.9.  It may be that we just decide not to bring them forward.

> - When gnucash loades the data file, the window is too little, it
> appears ugly

Please file a bug report with a suggested default window size.

> - Preferences: Toolbar style, text besides icons: not all icons show
> text

Good catch.  Please file a bug report.

> - Preferences window: in my 1024x768 screen it's too big, the close
> button in invisible

Too big?  In your screen-shot it appears smaller than your gnucash
window.

> - Building a report is
> veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long (>15
> min) with my data file (a problem from 1.8.9). At least gnucash should
> be usable in the registry while the report is calculated

I'm not sure about this.  I mean to ask hampton about it but forgot.
I *think* the original motivation for disabling the gui during
progress-bar use was re-entrancy problems related to file save/load.
If so, myabe there a way to solve that that doesn't also disable the
gui during report rendering.  David?

> - Account summary report options: with nested accounts, there is enough
> space in order to see the entire accounts names. Besides that, a black
> space is left at the right of the accounts name, it seems unuseful and
> it would be great in order to show better the accounts names (see
> screenshot)

It's not clear to me what you are proposed, but it probably belongs in
a bug report.

> - Doing "remove txn splits" when I am in a splitted txn deletes all the
> splits but the one corresponding the the account am I working in:  That
> doesn't seem logic to me. I entend "remove txn split" (singular) and
> expect it remove the split I'm in with the cursor. Actually I do this
> with "delete txn". The thing isn't clear, although there is something
> logic. What is this menu command for?

The command you're looking for is incorrectly labeled "delete
transaction." It actually only deletes the split.  Please file a bug
report.

> - I entered a txn with two currencies, it didn't ask me for the echange
> rate and put 1.00 as exchange rate

I think this is a known bug.

> - gnucash crashed with the following:

This should _definitely_ go into bugzilla.  We are actively squashing
crashers, and I don't think this is known.  I'll work on reproducing it...

>    - in a register I begun a new txn and put an account in a foreign
> currency (not with the dialog window, directly in the register).
>    - without saving the txn, I hit 2 times the escape key. The second
> time the crash occurred
>    - I found the "transfer funds" window opened (I didn't open it)
>
>  in the console I found the following:
>
> (gnucash:2065): gnome-vfs-modules-WARNING **: Could not initialize
> inotify
>

> ;;; WARNING (gnc:resolve-unknown-comm: Oops - exchange rate ambiguity
> error:  BRL 45.00  =  DOP 732.15)
>
> ;;; WARNING (gnc:resolve-unknown-comm: Oops - exchange rate ambiguity
> error:  EUR 14,905.00  =  DOP 581,673.00)
>
> ;;; WARNING (gnc:resolve-unknown-comm: Oops - exchange rate ambiguity
> error:  DOP 912,305.00  =  EUR 22,009.00)
>
> ;;; WARNING (gnc:resolve-unknown-comm: Oops - exchange rate ambiguity
> error:  EUR 46,964.37  =  ITL 90,980,156)
>
> ;;; WARNING (gnc:resolve-unknown-comm: Oops - exchange rate ambiguity
> error:  DOP 1,979,290,538.79  =  ITL 2,177,740,867)
> /usr/share/yelp/info.xml:0: error : unterminated entity reference
> Embedding Python 2.2
> /usr/share/yelp/info.xml:0: error : unterminated entity reference
> Embedding Python 2.3
> /usr/share/yelp/info.xml:0: error : unterminated entity reference
> Embedding Python 2.1
> end from FAM server connection
> "/usr/bin/gnucash": not in executable format: File format not recognized
>

> I don't know what does the BRL currency refers to, I think I don't have
> a txn with such a currency in my data file
>

> - In the main window I miss a command to expand or shrink all the
> account hierarchy

I supposed you mean recursively.  -> [RFE]

> - In the search window I miss a search by the commodity

-> [RFE]

> - a feature that was added in 1.x: the window title showing not only the
> account name, but the parents account names too. I can't see it in 1.9.6

-> [RFE]

> - In the main window the Total (period) and the Balance (period) columns
> don't show anything

That's probably because your start date "1.5.2006" is LATER than your
end date, "30.4.2006".  This should work.  After all, you bountied it,
remember? :)

Thanks for the reports.

-chris