1.9.6

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Sat May 27 13:17:34 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 23:34 -0400, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> On Fri, May 26, 2006 at 10:48:07PM -0400, don Paolo Benvenuto wrote:
> >
> > - Building a report is
> > veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry long (>15
> > min) with my data file (a problem from 1.8.9). At least gnucash should
> > be usable in the registry while the report is calculated
>
> I'm not sure about this.  I mean to ask hampton about it but forgot.
> I *think* the original motivation for disabling the gui during
> progress-bar use was re-entrancy problems related to file save/load.
> If so, myabe there a way to solve that that doesn't also disable the
> gui during report rendering.  David?

Gnucash has never supported performing other action while a report is
being built.  If it worked before, it was an unsupported and unexpected
side effect of updating the progress bar.  Explicitly disabling the GUI
was done to prevent crashes that occur when commands are unexpectedly
received during report generation (or any other function that provides a
progress bar) and cannot be handled by gnucash.

Yes, this is a problem.  It should be possible to abort a report that is
in the process of being built, or better yet, reports should be built in
the background.  Both of those will have to wait for a later release of
gnucash.  The latter will be a particularly hard nut to crack.

David