1.9.6

David Hampton hampton-gnucash at rainbolthampton.net
Sat May 27 13:18:19 EDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-26 at 22:48 -0400, don Paolo Benvenuto wrote:

>   When I put the cursor over a drop down lists, the letters get the
> colors of the tool, and so I can't read the string (the same thing is
> present in all gnucash2)

Is this only a problem with gnucash?  Do any other gnome2 applications
do this?  Gnucash itself does not specify any colors except for the
register widget, and then only when you set a specific preference.
Otherwise all colors displayed by gnucash from the system theme.  GTK
themes do contain  a "pre-light" color that is used when you hover the
mouse over a widget.  It sounds like maybe the background and text
"pre-light" values are set to the same value.  Try changing your system
them and see if the problem goes away.

> - In the preferences (I'm using spanish localization), when passing
> from the 1st to the 2nd tab, something weird appears (see screenshot).

I have seen this behavior but don't know how to reproduce it.  The
problem occurs because the tab labels are of different widths when
printed in normal vs. bold type.  On my system I don't see the selected
tab name printed in bold type.

>   When the preferences are opened, shouldn't the program be unusable?

Yes.  I can use gnucash without any problems while the preferences
window is open.  Might be a window manager problem.  I'm using FC5 and
Metacity.

>   Separation character: changing it reloading of the data file (2
> minutes for me...).

Yes, there is some delay while gnucash rebuilds the internal data
structures used for register completion.  The length of the delay
depends upon the number of accounts that you have defined.

> Besides that, I found "colon": shouldn't it be ":"?
> Note that in 1.8.9 I used the dot ".": the preferences wasn't preserved.

The word "colon" was used as a backward compatible default for anyone
whose tested with 1.9.x in the last year.  It is fully equivalent to the
single character ':'.

>   File -> compress wasn't preserved neither. Neither the "days to retain
> log files"

Gnucash 1.8 and 2.0 use completely different systems for saving
preferences.  The 1.8 system was a home-grown system while 2.0 uses the
standard gnome preference system.

> - Preferences: Toolbar style, text besides icons: not all icons show
> text

This is normal.  The "text beside icon" setting is also know as the
"priority text" setting.   Only the most important should be labeled in
this setting.  The Human Interface Guidelines explicitly say that no
more than four buttons should be labeled in this mode.  See:
http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/2.0/toolbars-labels-tooltips.html

> - In the main window I miss a command to expand or shrink all the
> account hierarchy

Try select and account and then holding the shift key and typing the
plus key on the keypad.  This is a standard GTK key for expanding all
levels of the selected tree item.

David