GC, QOF and queries

Chris Shoemaker c.shoemaker at cox.net
Fri Nov 3 10:57:27 EST 2006

On Fri, Nov 03, 2006 at 10:09:47AM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Phil Longstaff <plongstaff at rogers.com> writes:
>
> >> What version of LibGDA do you need to get GdaQuery?  Is libgda-1.9.100
> >> recent enough?  Or do you need something more recent than that?  (I ask
> >> because 1.9.100 is what FC5 has).
> >
> > I don't know.  On the www.gnome-db.org web site, the 1.9.102.changes
> > file is the first one I can see that mentions GdaQuery.  That, of
> > course, doesn't mean it doesn't exist earlier.
>
> Hmm..  I just pulled down libgda-devel and it indeed looks like
> there is no GdaQuery.  I'm hesitant to request support from a GDA
> feature that's so new that even FC5 can't use it!
>
> I was willing to work with the upgraded SWIG dependency because it's
> only needed to build from SVN (not the tarball), but this would be a
> runtime requirement, which means we should be more conservative about
> it.
>
> Sorry, I think we should delay the use of GdaQuery...

The fact that FC5-extras has 1.9.100 is irrelavant.  That's an
unstable release.  It's not even forward API-compatible with newer
unstable releases.  It also has some pretty serious bugs.

You have to target a stable api - either 1.2 (FC5 also has 1.2.3) or
the still-in-beta 2.0.  IMO, 1.2 is not even worth looking at.

As far as depending on a library version that's newer than our target
distros... my advice is choose the best tool for the job.  We know how
to deal with the release engineering issues.

-chris