GC, QOF and queries

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Fri Nov 3 11:09:38 EST 2006

Quoting Chris Shoemaker <c.shoemaker at cox.net>:

> The fact that FC5-extras has 1.9.100 is irrelavant.  That's an
> unstable release.  It's not even forward API-compatible with newer
> unstable releases.  It also has some pretty serious bugs.

Ahh, so it is.  I thought it was in core, not extras.  Also, I notice
that as of last week there's now a 1.99.1, aka 2.0 BETA.

> You have to target a stable api - either 1.2 (FC5 also has 1.2.3) or
> the still-in-beta 2.0.  IMO, 1.2 is not even worth looking at.

Yeah, no point looking to 1.2 with 2.0 right around the corner.

> As far as depending on a library version that's newer than our target
> distros... my advice is choose the best tool for the job.  We know how
> to deal with the release engineering issues.

I'd certainly prefer not to have to deal with these issues ourselves, but
yeah, let's look to GDA 2.0.

I retract my complaint.