gnucash 2 at FINK

Bob Hunter catdogbeloved at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 7 04:46:04 EST 2006

By comparison with linux/dselect, FINK does not
upgrade just as often. This results into dead end
situations like the one you described, which occur, I
now realise, not only for gnucash but also for the
other packages. We are, of course, talking about
binary distribution. I am not going back to source
distributions, compiling, patching, dependency
checking and time wasting, as I simply do not have the
time. I would rather donate for specific improvements,
as I would donate to a charity. I think this problem
is shared among open source projects, and thus the
economics of it need to go back to the drawing board.
I think the best approach is to consider a project
like a not-for-profit business, with developers on one
hand, users on the other, and the source code in
between. Users who want a certain feature, describe
the feature and put money for it, on condition that
the resulting code will remain open. Developers watch
into the various requests, and depending on the topic,
the amount of money, and their own time, decide
whether to take on the job. Being a not-for-profit
business, I think it would need to be registered, so
that charity givers can deduct the expense, and
charity takers can get paid tax free. I am not sure of
the exact formula, as different countries have
different corporate and tax laws.