r15094 - gnucash/branches/gda-dev - Initial commit of initial gda backend framework. See GDA_STATUS.

Herbert Thoma herbert.thoma at iis.fraunhofer.de
Thu Nov 9 04:26:34 EST 2006

David Hampton wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 17:22 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
<...>
>> This is still an open question.  There are multiple ways to consider
>> handling this.  One way is to do as you suggest; if you open an XML
>> file it stays as an XML file, but if you create a new file it's SQLite.
>> In this approach users much manually convert from XML to SQLite via Save-As.
>> In another approach GnuCash would automatically upgrade a user from XML
>> to SQLite..
>
> That would completely break backward compatibility.  Gnucash should
> automatically *offer* to upgrade any XML file to its Sql equivalent, but
> it should never take that action without explicit user approval.  The
> user should be informed that if they convert to SQL then they cannot go
> back to the Gnucash 2.0 without either a) using a backup file, or b)
> jumping through hoops to create a new XML file.  The user should have
> the option of continuing to use the XML file format in GnuCash 2.2
> without any further inquiries about upgrading.  I would have no problem
> pulling the XML back end in GnuCash 2.4 and relegating XML to a pure
> import/export format, but I don't believe its appropriate to do that
> with the first release of the new SQL back end.

I don't remember any more. But what did we do back at 1.2? 1.4? 1.6?
when we switched from binary fromat to xml? I don't think that
the new version was able to wirte the old binary format.

This does not mean that we should do it the same way now.
I will probably switch to SQLite asap, but I would not like
this to happen automatically without my explicit consent.

  Herbert.

> David

Herbert Thoma
Head of Video Group
Multimedia Realtime Systems Department
Fraunhofer IIS
Am Wolfsmantel 33, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Phone: +49-9131-776-323
Fax:   +49-9131-776-399
email: tma at iis.fhg.de
www: http://www.iis.fhg.de/