r15094 - gnucash/branches/gda-dev - Initial commit of initial gda backend framework. See GDA_STATUS.

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Nov 9 13:57:41 EST 2006

Herbert Thoma <herbert.thoma at iis.fraunhofer.de> writes:

> I don't remember any more. But what did we do back at 1.2? 1.4? 1.6?
> when we switched from binary fromat to xml? I don't think that
> the new version was able to wirte the old binary format.
>
> This does not mean that we should do it the same way now.
> I will probably switch to SQLite asap, but I would not like
> this to happen automatically without my explicit consent.

What I think we should do:

In whatever version we introduce SQLite, new files should by default
be SQLite, but existing XML files should stay XML.  In the NEXT
version we should automatically convert from XML -> SQLite.  Users
should still be able to Save-As to convert to SQLite (or even convert
back to XML).