Automatically split transactions with sales tax or VAT (Value added tax) when a transaction is booked to an sales or value-added-tax related account

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Nov 14 14:23:01 EST 2006

Nigel Titley <nigel at titley.com> writes:

>> Gnucash already has a feature to automatically calculated sales or VAT tax per
>> customer. But that feature does not help if you have anonymous customers
>> (e.g. super market customers) or if you have a lot of customers (more than
>> can be managed in Gnucash).
>>
>> What do you think? Who else would like to have this feature?
>>
> I would love this feature. I use gnucash to do the finances for my (VAT
> registered) ecommerce company. At the moment we are seeing relatively
> small numbers of sales and I can just about keep up by entering the
> splits manually. If sales doubled then I'd have real problems (mind you,
> it would a problem I'd love to have). For credit account customers I
> handle them using the business accounting features and it works well. It
> is the website/credit card customers that have the potential to overwhelm.

The business features (including Tax Tables) are outside the
scope of the register.  I've been working on adding the hooks
to get callbacks when transactions are entered, but right now
that's still a ways off.

I don't expect that I will ever, personally, implement this feature,
so if you really want it I'd recommend finding a developer that
wants to do it.