packaging and config params

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 5 13:38:42 EDT 2006

Quoting Dave Reiser <dbreiser at earthlink.net>:

> Derek Atkins wrote:
>> David,
>>
>> I'm afraid I don't quite follow you here.  What do you mean by
>> "build tree" vs. "install tree"?  Normally the build process is:
>>
>> ./configure --prefix=/sw
>
> plus the rest of the configure parameters, including --libexecdir=/sw/lib

Sure...

>> make
>
> At this point, the overrides directory gets installed in
> /sw/lib/gnucash/ instead of the being maintained in the usual
> location of a make (provided I'm understanding what all "fink build
> gnucash" is supposed to accomplish -- vs. "fink install gnucash")

Um..  "make" should never touch /sw -- it shouldn't "install" anything.
Only "make install" should.  If "make" is actually touching the
install tree it's a MAJOR bug, but I doubt that's what's going on.
More likely you're not conveying to me the fink process and it's
actually doing a "make install"..

>> make install DESTDIR=/path/to/tempspace
>
> this might also be a problem, but at least I can ask a better
> question over in the fink lists.

Perhaps I don't understand fink.  Doesn't fink build a .deb and then
install the .deb?

>> package up /path/to/tempspace
>> create install-scripts to perform operations (like gconf installations)
>>
>> I don't know what you're doing and how it differs from the above.
>
> Well, it's pretty obvious I don't know what I'm doing, either :)
>
> Thanks for the help.

You're welcome.  Good Luck,

-derek