packaging and config params

Dave Reiser dbreiser at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 5 13:18:24 EDT 2006

Derek Atkins wrote:
> David,
>
> I'm afraid I don't quite follow you here.  What do you mean by
> "build tree" vs. "install tree"?  Normally the build process is:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/sw

plus the rest of the configure parameters, including --libexecdir=/sw/lib

> make

At this point, the overrides directory gets installed in
/sw/lib/gnucash/ instead of the being maintained in the usual location
of a make (provided I'm understanding what all "fink build gnucash" is
supposed to accomplish -- vs. "fink install gnucash")

> make install DESTDIR=/path/to/tempspace

this might also be a problem, but at least I can ask a better question
over in the fink lists.

> package up /path/to/tempspace
> create install-scripts to perform operations (like gconf installations)
>
> I don't know what you're doing and how it differs from the above.

Well, it's pretty obvious I don't know what I'm doing, either :)

Thanks for the help.

> -derek
>
> David Reiser <dbreiser at earthlink.net> writes:
>
>> It looks like I am going to inherit the fink gnucash maintainership.
>> Argh. The 2.0.1 packaging file by someone who knows what he's doing
>> is functional, except that the contents of libexec are built in the
>> install tree instead of the build tree (with the side effect that
>> removing gnucash leaves behind the libexec files).
>>
>> fink apparently doesn't like having a libexec directory, so gnucash
>> has been configured in fink with --libexecdir=%p/lib, where %p almost
>> always represents /sw. This substitution/config parameter was also
>> done for at least the 1.8 series of gnucash too.
>>
>> So /sw/lib/gnucash/overrides/* gets created at buildtime instead of
>> waiting for installtime.
>>
>> Is it obvious to any of you what might be causing this behavior, or
>> how I might convince the fink build system of the error of its ways?
>>
>> Dave

Dave
--
David Reiser