GnuCash on Windows - CORBA errors

Christian Stimming stimming at tuhh.de
Sat Oct 7 04:14:25 EDT 2006

Am Freitag, 6. Oktober 2006 19:38 schrieb Mike Taylor:
> I finally got through all the compiling and everything in the install.sh
> with the win32 package on my Windows XP machine.  Right before the
> install.sh script finished, it gave me this error:
>
> ------------
> Failed to access configuration source(s): Adding client to server's list
> failed, CORBA error: IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAILURE:1.0
> ------------
>
> However, it seems that everything still compiled regardless.

Yes! Very cool!

In fact I've seen this CORBA error plus the others you described as well on
one of the Windows machines I had around (win2000), but not on another
(winXP). I *thought* this was due to win2000, but if you're experiencing this
on winXP, then it's due to something else.

I wrote about this at the bottom of http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Windows and I
was thinking of some DNS problems... It's an ORBit problem, so it's really
something low-level CORBA that's failing here. If you download the ORBit
source and run "make check", it will fail during communication testing, which
would otherwise work fine. Unfortunately the ORBit people have no hint or
workaround for this problem :-(

> When I run GnuCash it brings up window after window of the command
> prompt with the heading: c:/soft/gnome/libexec\gconfd-2.exe.  After
> about thirty seconds of those command windows popping up and
> disappearing it brings up an error in a GTK window: "An error occurred
> while loading or saving configuration information for gnucash.  Some of
> your configuration settings may not work properly".

If you ignore this error (i.e. press Ok), and press "Skip" in the GConf-setup
druid dialog, and wait several minutes, then eventually the gnucash main
window will show up. You can even open a register, but have to wait several
minutes until all these gconf error windows popped up and disappeared
again...

In other words: If you've come this far, then everything from the gnucash side
is fine, but you've run into some unknown ORBit bug that we cannot explain
right now. Most other computers don't see this, so we really have no idea
what this comes from.

Christian