SQL backend for GnuCash 2

Phil Longstaff plongstaff at rogers.com
Sat Oct 21 22:56:26 EDT 2006

I have some time available for development (was laid off about a week
ago :-( ) and thought that a good project to spend some time on would be
an SQL backend for GC2/QOF.  I know that a while ago, someone named
Matthew V.... (?) was working on something in the GC 1.X series, but I
haven't seen his name on the devel list in a long time.  I know Derek is
still interested in an SQL backend.  I could either:

1) target SQLite, PostgreSQL or MySQL directly in a QOF back end, or
2) target libdbi or another such layer (how many data layers do we
want?) which would give us all three (SQList, PostgreSQL and MySQL
immediately), or
3) target ODBC using iODBC which would give us even more databases we
could connect to.

Is there any current vision for database use?  Of the 3 databases I've
listed, I've only used MySQL.  SQLite would remove the need for an
external db server, though embedded MySQL would also remove this.

Thoughts?

Phil