Compiere

Graham Leggett minfrin at sharp.fm
Thu Oct 26 05:16:36 EDT 2006

On Thu, October 26, 2006 10:39 am, Christof Donat wrote:

> Last time I looked at it (sca. 1/2 Jear ago) the Compiere-website stated
> that
> they need Oracle as a DB. I found a PostgreSQL-port which I didn't get to
> work in a stable way.

I also did a round of research into this, and the DB issue on it is
contradictory and confusing - they promised DB support, and then kept
changing their mind. Their latest story was that they were almost finished
porting the database to the embedded Apache Derby, but whether they've
changed their mind again, who knows.

> Both of them are not comparable to GnuCash. GC has no sophisticated ERP
> and
> CRM features, but rocks especially with usability as an accounting tool.

Gnucash's usability is a huge win. It would be great to start seeing some
features that will let Gnucash start to play with the outside world more,
like being able to look up companies in LDAP, that sort of thing. The
database backend work in GC is a start down that road.

Regards,
Graham