SQL backend for GnuCash 2

Benoit Gregoire bock at step.polymtl.ca
Thu Oct 26 15:31:04 EDT 2006

On Thursday 26 October 2006 10:02, Derek Atkins wrote:
> "Daniel Espinosa" <esodan at gmail.com> writes:
> >> 1) We don't need an AccountType table.  AccountTypes are not data,
> >>    they are encoded in the application.  There's no reason to add
> >>    them to the database because they are constants.
> >
> > If usefull if you want a strong data integrity done by the Database
> > server, and if you want to share with others programs (I plan to
> > develop some one for the desktop)
>
> You can't get enough data integrity from the database.  For example,
> you cannot define the database in a way to enforce balanced transactions.

Yes you can (whith a "real" database).  Checking that the sum of the
transaction's splits is 0 it trivial if all splits use the same commodity,
and mostly irrelevent if they don't.  That's a really simple stored
procedure.

> I also don't care about sharing with other programs.

While I fully understand your feeling, sharing with other programs is probably
the primary reason why users want a SQL in the first place.  Since we KNOW
people will use it this way, we should try design it in such a way that it
can be made as safe as possible.