SQL backend for GnuCash 2

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 26 15:33:37 EDT 2006

Quoting Benoit Gregoire <bock at step.polymtl.ca>:

>> You can't get enough data integrity from the database.  For example,
>> you cannot define the database in a way to enforce balanced transactions.
>
> Yes you can (whith a "real" database).  Checking that the sum of the
> transaction's splits is 0 it trivial if all splits use the same commodity,
> and mostly irrelevent if they don't.  That's a really simple stored
> procedure.
>
>> I also don't care about sharing with other programs.
>
> While I fully understand your feeling, sharing with other programs is
> probably
> the primary reason why users want a SQL in the first place.  Since we KNOW
> people will use it this way, we should try design it in such a way that it
> can be made as safe as possible.

Actually, I think the primary reason users want SQL are to be able
to run their own reports, multi-user, and automatic commits (saves
on commit).  I dont think that sharing the data read/write is high on
the list of requirements.   Also, I dont think we can depend on stored
procedures; SQLite doesn't support them.